What is Diamond Plate Aluminum, and What Is It Used For?
The newest addition to Sherwood Steel’s inventory is diamond plate aluminum — the perfect material for any industrial job site application. Looking to keep your workers safe on the job? Diamond plate aluminum can be an excellent, durable option to reduce slips and falls throughout your job site.
Diamond plate, also referred to as checker plate or tread plate, is a type of metal typically made from either aluminum or steel. It’s called diamond plate due to the raised, diamond-shaped lines that criss-cross at 90-degree angles.
How It’s Made
There are two ways for diamond plate aluminum to be made.
- Stamped. The aluminum is rolled between two giant rollers: one smooth, and one with the diamond pattern. The pressure allows the diamond pattern on one side to be transferred.
- Electronic thermal machine. With this type of machine, the aluminum goes is first flash heated, making it molten, before it cools into the diamond shape.
Through either process, the combination of heat and pressure are used to create the desired thickness. Diamond plate aluminum will always be characterized by one smooth side, while the other is textured.
Benefits & Uses
Using diamond plate aluminum for your next project may prove to be beneficial. Here are some of its benefits.
- Slip resistant. The raised diamond pattern provides traction that makes this material a popular option for steps, ramps, ladders, floors, running boards, loading docks, etc.
- Corrosion resistant. Aluminum is known for its ability to withstand the elements due to its resistance to corrosion.
- Hygienic. Diamond plate aluminum is easy to wash and can stand up to harsh chemicals and cleaning products. This is one reason diamond plate is used in walk-in refrigerators, industrial kitchens, and washrooms.
- Attractive. This type of aluminum can also be used for a more ornamental purpose, with various raised patterns and finishes available.
Diamond plate aluminum can also be found in parking lots, garages, elevators, handicapped access ramps, and more.
At Sherwood Steel, we have diamond plate aluminum available varying in length and thickness. It can be customized to fit the size of your project right here in our facility. No matter how big or small your project, we will only give you the amount of diamond plate that you need, reducing the waste of leftover material. Contact us today to place your order!